Welcome Message from the School Principal to Parents
On behalf of the staff at British International School, I am happy to welcome you to the 2018-19 school year! We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children can achieve their highest potential. We recognize that to be successful in school, our children need support from both home and school. We know a strong partnership with you will make a significant difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities.
Our theme for this year is: Promoting Excellence Through Determination And Hard work. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that
- Attends school daily and arrives on time, ready for the day’s learning experience
- Completes all homework assignments given by teachers
- Reads daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
- Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
- Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
- Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school and go on to college / university
We are happy to inform you about the significant success in the conclusive results of the 2018 IGCSE and Advanced Level Examinations. This came because of numerous interventions, teamwork and diligence by staff. It is hoped that this standard will not only be maintained but improved upon as we promote and celebrate excellence through determination and hard work.
There are many discussions about the need for education to be different and it sometimes feels as if we are living in an echo chamber with everyone agreeing that change needs to happen. We have introduced more interesting and organised teaching pedagogies to ensure we provide Quality First Teaching. Some of the changes are:
- Guided Reading, which is separated from our Literacy Hour
- Achieving Deep Learning in all subjects across the school
- Introduction to Maths Mastery in the Primary Department
- Improved observation and assessment in Early Years
- Generate children’s/ students’ interest in Mathematics in both Primary and Secondary
- Promote excellent writing and reading skills across Early Years, Primary and Secondary
- We are introducing SPaG (Spelling Punctuation and Grammar) as part of our English Lessons
- Use of Emotional Intelligence in supporting the welfare of children
- A much more consistent approach to our curriculum planning
- ‘Every Child Matters’ agenda and support for children with learning difficulties
- A keen sense of discipline will be inculcated in all children and staff
- Weekly monitoring of children’s work throughout the school
- We will be helping students gain admissions into top universities such as Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Harvard, Dartmouth, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, Wharton, MIT, Wesleyan, University of St. Andrews, and the University of Toronto.
- We have recruited some experienced and outstanding teachers to join our team
- There has been amendment of some of our policies. This will be discussed at the orientation and after, all saved on the website. Please ensure to read all policies on the site and adhere to them.
We complement our academic curriculum with our interesting Co-Curricular Activities. These help our children to be well-rounded and well-grounded. Please ensure that your child/ children sign up for a co – curricular activity.
As part of our strategic initiatives to improving our services to you, we announce a 30% reduction in our bus fares to all destinations effective 5th September 2018. We have also increased our shuttle with an additional mini bus for the convenience of our students. This reduction in fares, was motivated by our desire to reach out to most parents to take the burden of dropping your child at school. We encourage all parents who must drive longer distances to bring their children to school to take advantage of our safe bus services. Kindly contact the school admission office for further enquiries.
The school has an improved behavior management system, and this is supposed to help the children to show excellent attitude towards learning and other people.
British International School is seriously moving into Inquiry Based Learning of which Assessment for Learning plays an integral role. This will equip our children with an excellent sense of reasoning and high confidence.
Honestly, significant positive changes will be taking place this academic year and some of these changes will be expatiated at the Parents’ Orientation and Parents’ Coffee Mornings.
Please do not hesitate to contact or book an appointment to see the School Principal if you wish to discuss any issues or challenges regarding your child. We encourage you to visit our school’s website (www.bisghana.com.gh).
I feel privileged to be a part of this school family. We thank you for your support and look forward to meeting you.